Embassy Jobs – Lead Maintenance Technician – United States Embassy / US Mission
Job Title: Lead Maintenance Technician
Organisation: United States US Embassy, US Mission in Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Salary Grade: UGX 41,892,912 – UGX 61,793,254
Vacancy Announcement Number: Kampala-2018-027
Reports to: Facilities Manager
About US Embassy:
The United States Embassy in Kampala, Uganda has enjoyed diplomatic relations with Uganda for over 30 years. Ambassador Deborah R. Malac currently heads the U.S Mission to Uganda. The Mission is composed of several offices and organizations all working under the auspices of the Embassy and at the direction of the Ambassador.
Among the offices operating under the U.S Mission to Uganda are:
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Peace Corps
Job Summary: The Lead Maintenance Technician is mainly responsible for the full range of installation, maintenance and repair of systems and equipment, and assigning in-house personnel to execute requirements based on evaluation. Position directly supervises three (3) employees – Chancery Plumber, Electrician, and HVAC Technician.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works with the Chancery Maintenance Supervisor and Facility Manager to direct, supervise or execute facility related work orders to include preventative maintenance, installation of new equipment or systems, and the repair of equipment
- Consults with contractors regarding installation of or repair to equipment and systems supporting embassy infrastructure, utilities, associated equipment associated with primary and secondary equipment, electrical distribution systems, lighting systems, HVAC systems, fire alarm and fire suppression systems, plumbing systems, and security systems
- Manages personnel assigned to the management and maintenance of the building automation system (BAS), HVAC systems, plumbing systems, and preventative maintenance of the facility.
- Advises the Chancery Maintenance Supervisor on design specifications, material cost estimates and reviews drawings regarding aspects of the facility
- Assumes the responsibility of all duties assigned to the Chancery Maintenance Supervisor in the event of his/her absence.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
- The applicants for the US Embassy Lead Maintenance Technician career opportunity should have completed secondary school and two years of vocational training or apprenticeship diploma recognized as producing an individual with technical expertise is required
- A minimum of three years experience of air conditioning/refrigeration and electrical trade is required.
- Smith Driver’s training in order for him/her to drive a Government Vehicle
- Extensive knowledge of locally accepted practices and procedures of air conditioning/refrigeration and electrical trades.
- Knowledge of the Embassy building, electrical, mechanical, fire and life safety codes; building and trade standards
- The incumbent must have good technical understanding of major building plumbing/mechanical systems and equipment with a specialty in plumbing systems.
- Knowledge of reading technical documents, interpreting maintenance plans and technical literature.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of locally accepted practices and procedures of air conditioning/refrigeration and electrical trades; and how to maneuver around town to various shops to acquire materials for project execution.
- Ability to operate various hand tools, powered equipment and instruments is required
- Ability to produce journeyman level quality of work is required
- General computer literacy is required in multiple applications (MS Office)
- Knowledge of U.S. building, electrical, mechanical, fire and life safety codes; building and trade standards.
- Use of basic arithmetic in order to understand length, width, depth, and weight. Basic typing skills required; and ability to lift maximum weight of 25 kilos.
- Language Proficiency: Level 3 (Good Working Knowledge) speaking/reading/writing) of English is required.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the United States Embassy in Kampala are encouraged to Apply Online by following the instructions below;
- Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for US Embassy Kampala using the link, Click Here
- You will receive confirmation on registration and proceed to apply.
- On completion of this process you will receive an auto response via your email.
NB: Applicants claiming a U.S. Veteran’s preference must submit written documentation confirming eligibility (e.g., Member Copy 4 of Form DD-214, Letter from the Veteran’s Administration, or certification documenting eligibility under the VOW Act with an expected discharge no later than 120 days after the certification is submitted) by the closing date of the vacancy announcement. If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veteran’s preference will not be considered in the application process. Specific criteria for receiving a U.S. Veteran’s preference may be found in HR/OE’s Family Member Employment Policy (FMEP).
Deadline: 20th June 2018
The US Mission in Kampala provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs.