Fresher UN Protection Assistant Job Opportunities – United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Job Title: Protection Assistant
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Duty Station: Uganda
Position Number: 10027172
Internal/External Vacancy Notice Number: 039/2017
Reports to: Protection Officer
Post Grade: GL-4
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Protection Assistant will provide functional and administrative support to the protection unit on protection related liaison, correspondence, monitoring, case management and reporting activities. The Protection Assistant will also supports the protection unit in designing a comprehensive protection strategy and in providing quality, timely and effective protection responses to persons of concern. He/she will liaise externally with local authorities and partners on correspondence and/or protection issues as guided by the supervisor. The Protection Assistant will also facilitates the involvement of persons of concern with the Office in making decisions that affect them, whether in accessing their rights or in identifying appropriate solutions to their problems. To achieve this, the incumbent will need to build and maintain effective interfaces with communities of concern, local authorities and protection and assistance partners.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct
- Observe and respect protection related Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Provide functional and administrative support in all protection related AGD based programming with implementing and operational partners
- Provide functional and administrative support in implementing participatory approaches, needs assessments, monitoring, reporting and case management.
- Support assessments on durable solutions through voluntary repatriation, local integration and where appropriate, resettlement
- Facilitate liaison with competent authorities for the issuance of personal and other relevant documents
- Provide support in drafting reports, routine correspondence, updating relevant databases and compiling statistics for the protection unit/section.
Key Performance Indicators:
- The protection of populations of concern is met through the application of International and National Law, relevant UN/UNHCR protection standards and IASC principles
- Protection activities are guided by the UNHCR country protection strategy
- The participation of persons of concern is facilitated through supporting participatory, rights and community based approaches.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Protection Assistant job opportunity should have completed secondary school.
- Additional training courses in protection related issues
- A minimum of two years of relevant work experience
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language
- Excellent knowledge of Swahili is an added advantage.
How to Apply:
All interested candidates who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 18th June 2018