IFUW International Awards
IFUW International Awards: Graduate Women International (previously the International Federation of University Women) offers a number of international fellowships and grants to women graduates for postgraduate research, study and training.
Who can apply?
- GWI fellowships and grants are open free of charge to women PhD candidates only who are members of GWI, either through a national federation or association or through independent membership.
- GWI fellowships and grants are open to non-member PhD candidates only providing they pay an administration fee of CHF 50 for women in developing countries and CHF 100 for women in industrialised countries.
- Students in any branch of learning may apply but their programme must demonstrate relevance to GWI’s mission, aims and objectives.
- Fellowships are offered for the second and subsequent years of a doctoral programme. Applicants are required to submit proof of completion of the first year of the programme by the time of the closing date for applications.
- The awards may be used in any country other than the one in which the applicant was educated and other than the one in which the applicant habitually resides.For example: A New Zealand national or long-time resident enrolled in a New Zealand doctoral programme:
- Would not be eligible if her research is to be carried out in New Zealand.
- Would be eligible if her research or part of her research is to be carried out in another country.
A Kenyan national enrolled in a New Zealand doctoral programme.
- Would be eligible if she has done her undergraduatestudies in a country other than New Zealand, regardless of where her research is to be carried out.
- Would not be eligible if she has done her undergraduatework in New Zealand and her doctoral research will be carried out in New Zealand.
- Would be eligible if she has done her undergraduate work in New Zealand and her doctoral research or part of her research will be carried out in a country other than New Zealand or her home country.
When is the application deadline?
- Application Form
- Scholarship Application
- There is a final closing date for all applications to reach GWI, but Members of GWI’s national federations and associations must apply through their national headquarters. The deadline for this varies by country. Please ask your national headquarters for the exact deadline.
- GWI independent members must apply through GWI headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland for all applications to reach GWI.
- Non-members must apply through GWI headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland complete with all supporting documentation.What are the other restrictions?
- Fellowships are for 8 to 12 months of work. They are intended to enhance the original research or scholarship on which a postgraduate applicant is already engaged. First year doctoral students and applicants just beginning their research are not eligible.
- Grants are for a minimum of 2 months of work. They are awarded for specialised training, independent research, or to assist in the completion of a postgraduate degree.
- All candidates must have obtained admission to the proposed place of study or research prior to applying to GWI’s competition.
- No assistance is given for attending conferences or for direct family support.
- The awards are not renewable.
- Certain awards carry additional restrictions. The FfWG Fellowship is reserved for women whose study or research will take place in Great Britain.The Dorothy Leet Grants are reserved for women graduates from countries with a comparatively low per capita income and for those who either wish to work as experts in these countries or whose research is of value to such countries.
- Please note that this years Fellowship Programme is reserved for PhD candidates only and funding is not available for Master degrees.There is a single application form for all the awards available. The selection committee determines the appropriate award for each recipient. GWI reserves the right to make no award for any category if the Fellowship Committee so recommends.
What size are the awards?
- The awards offered vary and the amounts listed below are indicative only and may change. 16 to 25 fellowships and grants are offered in each competition.
- Fellowships are the equivalent of 8,000 to 10,000 Swiss francs.
- Grants are from 3,000 to 6,000 Swiss francs.
- GWI Recognition Awards are 1,000 Swiss francs.Application form
- The application form and instructions will be available for download once the next competition has opened - see linksbelow.
- Please read the instructions carefully. Applicants who do not follow the steps outlined in this material will be automatically disqualified.What are the selection criteria?
- Motivation for research, study or training
- Originality and feasibility of proposed plan of research, study or training
- Extent to which the specialised knowledge and skills to be acquired will benefit women and girls
- Extent to which the specialised knowledge and skills to be acquired will further the applicant’s career
- Planned work or activity after completion of the research, study or training
Deadline: The deadline varies by country, but normally falls between September and mid-October.For more information and application, visit: IFUW International Awards Website